Skip to main content

Air France Business Class Review


I love to travel but strongly dislike airports and flying.  I get an enormous kick out of planning a trip and anticipating the departure day, but dread the entire airport process.  

Flying business class does make things a lot easier, but I admit to spending plenty of time scouring the sites of various airlines in order to score the best reward seats.  When it comes to traveling to Europe, I usually fly British Air, Virgin Atlantic, or Air France.  We fly ELAL to Israel and  I fly LOT Polish airlines when I go to visit my family in Poland.  Actually, the best sleep I ever got on a flight was on one of LOT's Dreamliners in Premium Economy.

This was the first time that I took an Air France flight that took off from Orly Airport.  AF usually flies out of CDG, but I was not complaining.  I prefer Orly for its proximity to Paris and the fact that the smaller size makes the VAT, security lines, and check in, much speedier and less frustrating.  The only downside, especially when leaving from the West Terminal is the fact that past security, there is very little to choose from as far as dining and shopping options are concerned.  You are much better off eating/shopping before going through security.  There is even a Laduree restaurant for that last bite of Paris.  I usually like to get a salad or a sandwich from Paul and take it on the plane.

I did not take any photos at the Business Lounge, which had your basic offering of food, and drinks.  A big plus is their great magazine selection, but a big minus is that the lounge tends to be crowded.  



It was time to board the plane.

The Boeing 777-300 had a 1-2-1 layout, which gives each passenger aisle access.


A down pillow, a duvet, and a hanger were waiting at the seat.


Since my husband was going to be sitting next to me, I asked the flight attendant to remove the privacy screen.

Voila!

The 16" HD touchscreen was perfectly sufficient and the controller/remote was very easy to use. There was a decent selection of foreign and American TV shows and movies.  I watched "Black Swan" and "The Girl on the Train".

This is me with my legs completely stretched out.  I am about 5'9".
Business Class - 61" pitch and 21.5" width - the full bed is 6'5" in length
Premium Economy - 38" pitch and 19" width
Economy - 32" pitch and 17" width



I liked their amusing safety video.


There was a little storage cubbie where I was able to store my two bottles of good iced tea that I bought at the airport and all the magazines I swiped from the Business Lounge!  A pair of noise-reducing headphones came in handy during the flight.  There was also a USB port and a power outlet at the seat.

The Air France amenity kit is pretty basic, but offers all that one would need during the flight.




Shortly after takeoff we were handed the menu.  I did not take photos of the entire wine section as it was very long.






It was time to begin our lunch, and after a white tablecloth was placed on the tray table, I was given a marinated cucumber, salmon tartare, and nuts.


That was followed with salmon and beetroot vegetables, salad, cheese, and warm bread.


My main course (smoked shrimp, vegetables in creamy lemon sauce), was actually very good.


My husband chose the lamb with creamy polenta with peas.

While he went with the more sensible fruit and sorbet for dessert,


I got the apricot tart.  Now, I think that the pastry loving part of my heart died when this tart was placed in front of me.  I thought of not even touching it, but my curiosity got the better of me.
I don't know if I lose all of my senses at 35,000 feet, or it really is true that our taste buds are altered at such high altitude, but this was really good.  While this was not the best apricot tart I have ever had, it was quite yummy.  So the moral of this experience is: don't judge a book by its cover.  Really.


The second meal before we landed was a burrito of some kind, mozzarella and tomato salad, fruit and dessert.  I did not eat the burrito, but everything else was excellent and fresh.


They also had this cool chat program which my husband and I used to "talk" for a while.


During the flight there were drinks and snacks available in the galley and the lovely flight attendant kept bringing me treats every couple of hours.


I really enjoyed the flight, the professional and polite service, and the decent meal.

(I do not get compensated for anything that I post).

Joanna



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bordier Butter - The Best Butter in France

France is in the midst of a butter shortage!  Due to a decrease in milk production and a substantial demand for French pastries all over the world (mainly China and the Middle East), the price of butter has increased by 60% in one year.  The French are stocking up and thus creating shortages.  French newspapers are publishing articles titled "A guide to cooking without butter".  So, with hopes that the shortages are temporary, here is my ode to the best butter in the world.  I'm not kidding.  The. Best. Butter. In. The. World. Mr. Bordier, a grandson and a son of cheese mongers, became a butter artisan in 1985.  He acquired a creamery originally founded in 1927.  The supreme taste of the Bordier butter was first recognized by a chef from the Plaza Athenee while vacationing in Brittany, a beautiful region in northwestern France. Bordier is the lone butter master to still use the old method of kneading the butter according to the 19th century traditions.  He uses a woo

Port Said, Tel Aviv

Located across the street from the Great Synagogue of Tel Aviv, Port Said is one of the most popular restaurants in the city.  This restaurant is a brainchild of the iconic Israeli chef Eyal Shani of Tzfon Abraxas , HaSalon, and  Miznon . Most of the dining tables at Port Said are set up outdoors, and the interior of the restaurant is comprised of vinyl records stacked on floor to ceiling shelves, a bar with a small counter and the kitchen.    This is one of those restaurants with a very cool, young people vibe that not everyone would find appealing.  The wait for a table can be very long, the staff can be somewhat brusque, and the cigarette smoke might be bothersome.  The food, however, is spectacular. The menu at Port Said is very similar to Tzfon Abraxas and, just like there; it changes daily according to the season.  I was glad to see that they had this creme fraiche, tomato pulp and olive oil dip, which came with a couple of slices of challah. We ordered th

Indian Accent, NYC

Often when a question arises as to what to eat for dinner, I think of Indian food.  I am a very happy gal with chicken makhani, basmati rice, an onion kulcha or a nan laid out in front of me.  I have heard some very good things about Indian Accent, a relatively new restaurant in midtown Manhattan, adjacent to the Parker Hotel. The décor here is unlike most Indian restaurants I have visited; no boldly colored fabrics, beautiful tapestries, intricately carved wood, or lanterns.  Indian Accent restaurant looks like something that Daniel Boulud would envision.  There are about fifteen wooden tables and a few small booths, fabric covered modern chairs, a lit bar with glass shelves and golden accents throughout, and large glass vases filled with flowering branches. The menu is complicated, however, our terrific waiter took his time and explained each dish and even made some wonderful suggestions.  Actually, everyone at the restaurant was really professional and lovely. We